What to Do After a Hit and Run

Attorney Law Federal Way has helped numerous persons injured in car accidents. 

After any car accident, everyone involved should pull over and find a safe place to exchange insurance and contact information with the other drivers. You may even need to call the police or other emergency personnel. But what should you do if the other car involved flees the scene of the accident?

If possible, try to spot the license plate number. Even if you can only remember the first few digits, that could be helpful later on.

Call the police. Report the accident and give the police any information you remember about the car, the driver, and the license plate.

If there are witnesses around willing to help, collect their contact information and provide that to the police as well.

Call your insurance company and report the accident to them. Call Attorney Law Federal Way to get additional advice.

If the police are not able to come to the scene of the accident, try to get written statements and contact information from witnesses at the scene. Take pictures with your phone of your car and of the surrounding scene. Once you are in a safe place, write down your own version of what happened. Include as many details as you can think of.

Preventative measures can also be taken in order to lessen some of the damages you might incur if you do experience a hit and run.

First, make sure that you have current car insurance. Second, consider adding uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage to your insurance policy. This kind of coverage will pay for your costs if you are in an accident with an uninsured driver. In many cases, when a driver flees the scene of accident, it is often because they don’t have insurance.

Talk to your insurance agent about your options to protect yourself in the event of a hit and run.

If you have been injured in an accident, contact Attorney Federal Way.

Types of Damages for Car Accident Victims

Attorney Law Federal Way is here to help people that have been injured in a car accident.


When you are in a car accident, the damages you incur can be small or extensive. There are two main types of damages.


Economic Damages - also called "general" damages - refer to the various types of damages that have a direct cost associated with them. Types of economic damages include: 

-Past and Future Medical Expenses (This can include doctor’s visits, chiropractor’s visits, massages, and physical therapy costs during your recovery.)

-Loss of Past and Future Earnings (You may be able to recover lost wages if you miss any work during your recovery, or if your ability to work is permanently affected due to your injuries.)

-Loss of Essential Home Services (These services include the ability to mow your lawn, cook dinner, vacuum, and perform other household chores. If your ability to do these things is affected by your injuries, you may be able to recover damages.)


Non-Economic Damages - also called "special" damages - refer to the types of damages that do not have a direct cost associated with them. Types of non-economic damages include:

-Pain and Suffering or Mental Anguish (These kinds of damages might include anxiety, hopelessness, fright, or depression.)

-Psychological and Emotional Distress (These damages refer to the way your injury has impacted your daily life psychologically. That could mean sleep loss, anxiety, or other kinds emotional distress.)

-Loss of Companionship with Spouse or Loved Ones (If you lose a spouse or a loved one in an accident, you may be able to recover damages.)


If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, contact Attorney Law Federal Way.


The Importance of Hiring an Attorney after a Car Accident

The lawyers at Attorney Law Federal Way help people recover for the pain and suffering caused from a car accident.


If you have suffered an injury in a car accident, you likely want to recover money to pay for your medical expenses, childcare, lost wages, and other costs.


Hiring an attorney can make a huge difference in whether or not you are able to recover damages, and in how much you actually recover.


First, an attorney can help you assess your claim and tell you whether or not it is worth pursuing.


Second, if you do decide to pursue your claim, an attorney can help you navigate the complicated insurance issues, complex medical lingo, and piles of paperwork often attached to a personal injury claim.


Third, an attorney can help you achieve a good settlement outside of court. This way, you avoid the time, costs, and risk of a trial. Settling on your own, without an attorney, can be difficult. Large insurance companies are known for bullying accident victims into early or low-value settlements. An attorney can help you fight for the compensation you deserve. If you are able to settle your claim, you will be able to move on with your life more quickly and pay off your expenses.


Lastly, if you do take your case to court, an attorney can use his or her expertise and strategy to represent you well and help you achieve the jury verdict you are looking for.


Call Attorney Law Federal Way for a consultation and take the first step toward recovering what you deserve. 

What to Do After a Car Accident

The lawyers at Attorney Law Federal Way can help you navigate recovering for your personal injuries suffered in a car accident. Below are a few steps to consider taking after a car accident.

Call the police. Depending on the area, the severity of the injuries involved, and how busy they
are, the police may not be able to come to the scene of the crash. However, it’s always a good
idea to call them. If they do come, they will be able to create a police report that will hold a lot of
important information about the accident.

Take photographs. If you have a smartphone, use it to take photographs of both cars involved in
the accident. Take photographs of the other driver’s license plate number, their VIN number,
their driver’s license, and all of their insurance and contact information. Take a photo of the
street signs where the crash happened, and also take photos of any injuries you may have
suffered. If you do not have a smartphone, write down this information with as many details as

Seek medical attention. If necessary, you should go to the doctor as soon as possible.
Sometimes, the soft tissue injuries common in a car accident like back strains, sprains, and
whiplash, don’t show up until a couple hours after the crash. Expect to feel more pain once your
adrenaline subsides.

Report the claim to your insurance company. Give them the insurance details of the other
driver involved, as well as any other information you recorded that might be helpful about the

Consult with an attorney. If you think you might have a claim for damages after a car accident,
talk to an attorney about it. They can help you decide if it is worth pursuing. They can tell you
what to expect. And, they can help you recover the monetary damages you deserve.

Contact Attorney Law Federal Way to talk about your claim.